Project prioritization has always been a challenge for me. While I *should* be working on a charging center solution to alleviate 7 different chargers all vying for the one available plug in the living room, I choose to decorate instead…who can explain the whims of the human mind?
The rear wall of the living area of our new trailer was this big empty canvas just begging for something. The challenge is there is little clearance there when the main slide room comes in - I couldn’t even hang framed prints without having to remove them each time. Somewhere I remembered seeing different decals for walls and found these abstract tree decals on Amazon. One looked a bit small so I ordered two and pieced them together for a larger tree. I used leftovers on the other side of the door as well. Miranda now says that entering her room feels like walking into a forest. We’ll see how well the decals stick - but I figure I can glue-stick them in place if need be.
Shoes are a puzzle for most families living in RV’s. Our last rig had a nook next to the steps where we could pile up shoes. The pile always bugged me but since it was out of the way I never got around to doing anything better. Our new trailer doesn’t have such a nook. The only place we could figure on placing shoes to keep them handy was right in the entryway, along the edge of the cabinet. I googled around different solutions for shoe storage -finding answers like these hanging pockets ridiculous. First, they are never big enough for my size 12s. Second - creme colored canvas to hold shoes (especially kids shoes) that come in wet & muddy, with catcus spines, thorns, or any other matter of outdoor stow-away? They’d last a week in our world - if that.
Somewhere I saw a shoe rack that had just simple vertical pegs to slide shoes over and that clicked for me - I could build one out of PVC pipe to fit the space we had. I used schedule 80 3/4” tubing (thicker so the pegs would be stiff), and the cheaper schedule 40 connectors. It took a couple of hours all told to build - mainly because all I had to cut the pieces with was a drill with a cut-off wheel. I made all the pegs long enough to get my shoes up and off the floor - so a few of them could have been shorter to keep the overall height down. Once assembled and checked for fit and functionality I gave it a quick shot of flat black paint to cover the white connectors. I bought glue but decided it held together well enough without it - and this way if I decided that it needed modification i could pull it apart again. Total cost was around $28 and I have a bunch of pipe leftover. The nice part with this approach is you can design a rack to fit the space you have, and adjust the peg heights for the size shoes you are storing.